Sonoma Valley Groundwater - Basin Advisory Panel
Goals & Purpose
The purpose of the Basin Advisory Panel is to develop and oversee implementation of a Groundwater Management Plan for the Sonoma Valley. To this end, the goals of the group are to:
- Work collaboratively with other Panel members who represent groundwater users and interests from throughout the entire Sonoma Valley.
- Develop common understanding on current and future water needs and resources in the Sonoma Valley.
- Support development of basin management objectives to protect resources in a sustainable manner, ensure local control, address current and future local water needs, and support the economy and environment.
- Negotiate in good faith to achieve consensus on how Sonoma Valley groundwater will be managed into the future
Basin Advisory Panel Members
- Richard Dale, Sonoma Ecology Center
- David Goodison, City of Sonoma
- Vicki Hill
- Jay Jasperse, Sonoma County Water Agency
- Bill Keene, Sonoma County Agricultural Preservation and Open Space District
- John Macleod, Indian Springs Ranch
- Vickie Mulas, Mulas Dairy
- Ed Nelson
- Kathy Pons, Valley of the Moon Alliance
- John Robb, Mission Highlands Water Company
- Tito Sasaki, North Bay Agricultural Alliance
- Kara Heckert, Sonoma RCD
- Maggie Salenger
- Dan Muelrath, Valley of the Moon Water District
- Daniel Sanchez, North Bay Association of Realtors
- Norman Gilroy, Community Alliance of Family Farmers
Staff and Technical Support to Panel:
- Marcus Trotta, Sonoma County Water Agency, 707.547.1978
- Tim Parker, Parker Groundwater. 707.509.8750
The Panel meets quarterly or as necessary to oversee Plan implementation and the public is welcome to attend meetings. In addition, staff and Panel members are available to provide presentations to local and regional organizations about the Groundwater Management Plan. Please feel free to contact a staff member for any questions or comments regarding this project.
Panel Charter and Yearly Work Plans
- 2016 Meeting Schedule and Framework
- Charter Document (Approved October 16, 2006)
The vision of this Groundwater Management Plan (Plan) is to identify and implement a series of actions using modern technology and sound science to increase the quantity and quality of Sonoma Valley groundwater resources over the next decade and protect groundwater resources for future generations. The Plan is a living document, and progress in implementing the plan will be periodically reviewed with the current understanding of groundwater levels, quality and trends.
The five key elements of the Plan:
- stakeholder involvement
- monitoring program
- groundwater quality protection
- groundwater sustainability
- planning integration
The Sonoma County Water Agency, with Basin Advisory Panel guidance, is implementing the program. Funding and support for the program has been provided by the City of Sonoma, County of Sonoma, Sonoma County Agricultural Preservation and Open Space District, Sonoma County Water Agency, Sonoma Valley County Sanitation District, and the Valley of the Moon Water District.
The Basin Advisory Panel welcomes members of the public to its meetings. In addition, staff and Panel members are available to provide presentations to local and regional organizations about the groundwater management planning process. Please feel free to contact a member of our staff for any questions or comments regarding this project: Marcus Trotta at 707.547.1978.
Staff and Panel members welcome opportunities to discuss the groundwater management planning process underway and seek insights from local community members through discussions and briefings. If you would like to schedule a briefing for your organizations (e.g. homeowners organization, Rotary, Chambers, etc.), please contact Marcus Trotta at 707.547.1978.