Hudeman Slough "Quest" - A fun-filled family treasure hunt
The Sonoma County Water Agency Water Education team has developed a place-based treasure hunt called a Quest.
Pack your backpack and spend time with your family outdoors in search of hidden treasure while exploring Hudeman Slough in beautiful Sonoma, California. When you arrive, find the Quest map and pencils at the entrance sign. Arrive with a healthy dose of curiosity and allow the rhyming clues to take you on an adventure that will get you walking sideways and backwards along levee paths with heightened awareness and intrigue.
The path will take about an hour to complete if you are moving quickly. Take your time; there is plenty of migratory and resident wildlife to see and much to learn about the history of this precious, restored wetland. Pack a lunch, water, sunscreen, binoculars and layers and enjoy your day out at the Slough! Open daily from dawn to dusk. There are NO BATHROOMS on the property so please come prepared.
What is a Quest?
"A Quest is a community treasure hunt that guides people through - and teaches them how to see - a unique community treasure." -- Steven Glazer, Poetics Of Place
Quests are place-based treasure hunts that lead participants to hidden treasure with movement clues while immersing them in the unique natural and historical features of a place. Quests, also known as letterboxing, began in mid-nineteenth century England and are gaining popularity in the U.S. There are at least five completed Quests in Sonoma County! Quests are made for people of all ages and are a great activity for getting outside and learning more about a local area.
Where is the Hudeman Slough Quest located?
The Hudeman Slough Quest is located at 25696 Ramal Road, Sonoma, CA 95476
Directions from Downtown Sonoma:
- Head south on Broadway (CA-12)
- Stay on CA-12 as it merges with CA 121 (slight turn left) Fremont Drive
- Turn Right on Ramal Road
- Continue on Ramal Road for a little over two miles and look for a haybarn on the right side of the road.
- Turn right into the parking lot beside the hay barn.
Download the Quest Map
Printed copies should be available at the entrance gate.
Other Quests in Sonoma and Marin Counties:
- Homes and Habitats Quest, Healdsburg Ridge Open Space Preserve, Healdsburg
- Fog to Bog Quest, Ragle Ranch Regional Park, Sebastopol
- Water Quest, Salmon Creek School, Occidental
- Redwood Discovery Quest, Muir Woods National Monument, Mill Valley