Adopt a Creek Program: A Watershed Approach
The Adopt a Creek program is designed to educate middle and high school students on the importance of our local creeks and watershed through hands-on science and environmental stewardship projects. Students and teachers will assess the health of their local creek, surrounding riparian zone, and watershed. Citizen science monitoring will inform the planning of a stream enhancement project that will be developed and implemented by the students.
The program includes:
- The basics of stream ecology.
- Mapping your local creek and watershed.
- Monitor precipitation and enter data into a worldwide precipitation monitoring database.
- Learn about salmonids and their water quality requirements.
- Collect and analyze water quality data.
- Stormwater pollution prevention education
- Planning and implementing a creek stewardship project.
- Presenting on your creek stewardship project
For more information about this program, please contact David Berman at (707) 521-6201 or David.Berman@scwa.ca.gov