Storm Water Resource Plans
In 2016 the Sonoma County Water Agency was awarded a $484,627 storm water planning grant from the State Water Resources Control Board’s Storm Water Grant Program. Water Agency staff along with other agencies and watershed partners are now working together to collaboratively develop Storm Water Resource Plans (SWRP) for the Petaluma River Watershed and the Sonoma Creek Watershed. Senate Bill 985 (Pavley, 2014) requires that in order for entities to be eligible for any future state funds from voter approved bond measures for storm water projects they must develop compliant Storm Water Resource Plans to guide project selection and implementation.
What is a storm water resource plan?
A Storm Water Resource Plan (SWRP) is a non-regulatory, watershed based and stakeholder driven plan that builds on local storm water management objectives and identifies and prioritizes projects that capture, treat or reuse storm water runoff. These projects must provide at least two benefits which may include environmental enhancement, flood protection, groundwater recharge, water quality improvement or recreational opportunities.
Southern Sonoma SWRP Partners:
- Lead Agency: Sonoma County Water Agency
- Sonoma County Agricultural Preservation & Open Space District
- Sonoma Resource Conservation District
- Sonoma County Regional Parks
- Sonoma County – Permit and Resource Management Department
- Sonoma Land Trust
- City of Petaluma
- Valley of the Moon Water District
- City of Sonoma
- Sonoma Ecology Center
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratories
- State Water Resources Control Board
- San Francisco Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board
Led by the City of Ukiah, a Russian River Storm Water Resource Plan is being developed by the Russian River Watershed Association. The Water Agency is a collaborating partner.
Submit a Project
Please use this form to submit a multi-benefit project to be considered for inclusion in the Southern Sonoma SWRP. Projects must be submitted by Dec. 8th for consideration. Helpful information can be found in the Storm Water Resource Plan Guidelines.
Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) Meetings
TAC meetings open to the public, schedules updated
TAC Meeting 1, February 27th, 2017
Joint kickoff for Southern Sonoma and Russian River SWRPs
North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board, 9:00-11:00AM
TAC Meeting 2, July 26th, 2017
City of Petaluma Offices, 10:00-12:00PM
TAC Meeting 3, September 20th, 2017
Valley of the Moon Water District Boardroom, 9:30-11:30AM
NEXT TAC Meeting- January 2018 (Exact Date TBD)
- Tuesday, November 14
- 5:30-7:00 PM
- David Yearsley River Heritage Center, Petaluma
- 100 E D St, Petaluma, CA 94952
- Wednesday, November 15 - Meeting cancelled due to Flash Flood warnings
- 5:30-7:00 PM
- Sonoma Community Center
- 276 E Napa St, Sonoma, CA 95476
Completed Grant Deliverables
- 2.1 List of TAC Members, Roles and Responsibilities, Affiliations and Commitment Letters
- 3.1 DRAFT Annotated List of Data and Reports
- 3.2 Planning Area Description, Map and Boundaries
- 4.1 DRAFT SWRP Outline
- 4.3 Description of Approach Addressing Water Quality Tech Memo
- 4.4.2 Modeling and Quantitative Methodology Tech Memo
For More Information:
Subscribe to the Water Agency’s E-newsletter which provides updates on many important projects.
Stay up to date with the Water Agency Events Calendar which will include important SWRP dates and check this website for public notifications.
Please contact Susan Haydon at (707) 547-1937 or by emailing Susan.Haydon@scwa.ca.gov.