Occidental County Sanitation District
New! January 7, 2016 Public Meeting
A public meeting will be held on Thursday, January 7, 6 – 8 p.m. at the Union Hotel. The purpose of the meeting is to review a recently completed alternative’s analysis of treatment options.
See minutes from previous meetings on this topic below.
About the District
- Began Operation: 1950
- Service area: 55 acres
- Service recipients: 264 Equivalent Single-Family Dwelling
- Treatment level: Secondary
- Design capacity: 50,000 gallons per day (average daily dry weather flow)
- Discharge: Between May 15 and September 30 the recycled water is irrigated on private property. Between October 1 and May 14 recycled water is discharged into Dutch Bill Creek.
- Board of Directors: The Water Agency's Board of Directors act as the District's Board.
Recycled Water Projects
- Occidental Wastewater Treatment Facility Recycled Water Project - The Occidental County Sanitation District is preparing an Initial Study for the Occidental Wastewater Treatment Facility Recycled Water Project to upgrade the treatment plant and change how the recycled water is managed. The Initial Study is a preliminary analysis of the project’s potential environmental impacts, and is used to determine whether a Negative Declaration or an Environmental Impact Report will be prepared. The Project proposes beneficially re-using recycled water for agricultural irrigation on farms near the District. California has among the strictest laws on recycled water in the United States. Disinfected tertiary treated recycled water can be used for everything except drinking. Learn more about recycled water. To learn more about the District and the proposed project, please see the following documents:
- Notice of Preparation of an Initial Study for the OCSD Recycled Water Project
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Project
- Project Timeline and Information
- District expenses, by major category, for last three fiscal years
- Press Release 12/23/14: "Scoping Meeting for Occidental County Sanitation District Recycled Water Solutions"
- Agenda for January 8th public meeting for OCSD Recycled Water Solutions.
- Occidental Storage Pond and Recycled Water Project - Please note that the Occidental Storage Pond and Recycled Water Project is no longer being considered for construction. This project web page is being provided for background informational purposes only.
The Occidental County Sanitation District’s (District) regularly holds community meetings to inform, educate and seek input from ratepayers and surrounding residents on possible solutions for treating, storing, and disposing of wastewater generated in Occidental. The District currently discharges recycled water into a pond located at the headwaters of Dutch Bill Creek during the summer and to Dutch Bill Creek during the winter. The District is required by the North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board to stop releasing recycled water into the pond. The District is currently examining feasible projects that meet the unique requirements of Occidental.
Materials from January 8, 2015 Meeting:
Materials from September 30, 2014 Meeting:
Materials from March 13, 2014 Meeting:
Materials from October 24, 2013 Meeting:
- Private Building Lateral Replacement Program
- Private building laterals are the pipes that lead from homes or businesses to the sewer main. Eligible ratepayers in the district can have their private building lateral pipes replaced for free.
- Sanitation District High-Efficiency Direct Install Program
- A limited number of high-efficiency fixture retrofits are available at no cost through participating water and sanitation service providers.
Newsletter/Proposition 218 Notice
- Spring 2016 Newsletter and Proposition 218 Notice | Spanish version of Spring 2016 Newsletter
- Fall 2015 Newsletter
- Fall 2015 Newsletter - SPANISH
Billing/Financial Questions: Manuel Olvera, 707-521-6215 or email@example.com
General Questions: Brad Sherwood, 707-547-1927 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Occidental Storage Pond and Recycled Water Project Questions: Douglas Messenger, 707-547-1952 or email@example.com