Occidental County Sanitation District
New: Notice of Preparation of an Initial Study
The Occidental County Sanitation District is preparing an Initial Study for the Occidental Wastewater Treatment Facility Recycled Water Project to upgrade the treatment plant and change how the recycled water is managed. The Initial Study is a preliminary analysis of the project’s potential environmental impacts, and is used to determine whether a Negative Declaration or an Environmental Impact Report will be prepared.
- Notice of Preparation of an Initial Study for the Occidental County Sanitation District Recycled Water Project
- Press Release 12/23/14: "Scoping Meeting for Occidental County Sanitation District Recycled Water Solutions"
- A public meeting will be held the evening of January 8th to answer questions and take comments on the scope of the Initial Study. View the agenda here.
WHEN: 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.Thursday, January 8
WHERE: Back Room, Union Hotel, 9731 Main Street, Occidental
About the District
- Began Operation: 1950
- Service area: 55 acres
- Service recipients: 264 Equivalent Single-Family Dwelling
- Treatment level: Secondary
- Design capacity: 50,000 gallons per day (average daily dry weather flow)
- Discharge: Between May 15 and September 30 the recycled water is irrigated on private property. Between October 1 and May 14 recycled water is discharged into Dutch Bill Creek.
- Board of Directors: The Water Agency's Board of Directors act as the District's Board.
The Occidental County Sanitation District’s (District) regularly holds community meetings to inform, educate and seek input from ratepayers and surrounding residents on possible solutions for treating, storing, and disposing of wastewater generated in Occidental. The District currently discharges recycled water into a pond located at the headwaters of Dutch Bill Creek during the summer and to Dutch Bill Creek during the winter. The District is required by the North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board to stop releasing recycled water into the pond. The District is currently examining feasible projects that meet the unique requirements of Occidental.
Materials from September 30, 2014 Meeting:
Materials from March 13, 2014 Meeting:
Materials from October 24, 2013 Meeting:
- Occidental Storage Pond and Recycled Water Project
- Please note that the Occidental Storage Pond and Recycled Water Project is no longer being considered for construction. The link is provided for informational purposes only.
- Private Building Lateral Replacement Program
- Private building laterals are the pipes that lead from homes or businesses to the sewer main. Eligible ratepayers in the district can have their private building lateral pipes replaced for free.
- Sanitation District High-Efficiency Direct Install Program
- A limited number of high-efficiency fixture retrofits are available at no cost through participating water and sanitation service providers.
- Composting Toilet Pilot Program
- The Occidental County Sanitation District (District) is seeking volunteers for a pilot program for composting toilets. The pilot program will allow the District to evaluate the use of composting toilets within four houses over a three year study period.
- Fall 2014 Newsletter
- Spring 2014 Newsletter | Text only accessible version of Spring 2014 Newsletter
- 2014/15 Budget
- 2014/15 Proposition 218 Notice and Rates
- 2013/14 Budget
- 2013/14 Proposition 218 Notice and Rates
- 2012/13 Budget
- 2012/13 Proposition 218 Notice and Rates
- 2011/12 Budget
Billing/Financial Questions: Manuel Olvera, 707-521-6215 or firstname.lastname@example.org
General Questions: Brad Sherwood, 707-547-1927 or email@example.com
Occidental Storage Pond and Recycled Water Project Questions: Douglas Messenger, 707-547-1952 or firstname.lastname@example.org